The Crown

Supergirl

The Crown

Post by Supergirl » Fri Jan 08, 2021 11:30 am

The Crown is a historical drama streaming television series about the reign of Queen Elizabeth II, created and principally written by Peter Morgan, and produced by Left Bank Pictures and Sony Pictures Television for Netflix. Morgan developed it from his drama film The Queen (2006) and especially his stage play The Audience (2013).

The Crown has been praised for its acting, directing, writing, cinematography, and production values. It received accolades at the 23rd Screen Actors Guild Awards, won Best Actress for Foy in the lead role and Best Actor for John Lithgow as Winston Churchill, and has secured a total of 39 nominations for its first three seasons at the Primetime Emmy Awards, including three for Outstanding Drama Series. The series was nominated for Best Drama TV Series at the 77th Golden Globe Awards.

Did you watch it? What do you think about?
Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence.

Eredin

Re: The Crown

Post by Eredin » Mon Jan 11, 2021 9:58 am

I really didn’t like the show. Perhaps my expectations were too high. What did I expect from him:

1) Immersion in Elizabeth. The opportunity to know her more as a person and a woman, first of all

2) Find out the relationship to each other in the royal family

3) See the life of monarchs

If the third was briefly shown to us, then I consider the first two points unfulfilled. Throughout the first season, Elizabeth only does what she walks with her huge eyes and an open mouth. Like a wax doll. I was very upset by the episode with the elephant, somewhere in the first episodes of the series. Obviously, the goal was to strain the viewer, make him worry, but everything was so naive and badly filmed that it caused a smile. Well, thanks for that, because I didn't find any funny moments either. In the end, what I got:

1) Dark series

2) An inanimate family of monarchs

3) The worst thing, not revealed Elizabeth :(
Don’t Let Yesterday Take Up Too Much Of Today

Hawking

Post by Hawking » Mon Jan 11, 2021 10:15 am

Eredin wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 9:58 am I really didn’t like the show. Perhaps my expectations were too high. What did I expect from him:

1) Immersion in Elizabeth. The opportunity to know her more as a person and a woman, first of all

2) Find out the relationship to each other in the royal family

3) See the life of monarchs

If the third was briefly shown to us, then I consider the first two points unfulfilled. Throughout the first season, Elizabeth only does what she walks with her huge eyes and an open mouth. Like a wax doll. I was very upset by the episode with the elephant, somewhere in the first episodes of the series. Obviously, the goal was to strain the viewer, make him worry, but everything was so naive and badly filmed that it caused a smile. Well, thanks for that, because I didn't find any funny moments either. In the end, what I got:

1) Dark series

2) An inanimate family of monarchs

3) The worst thing, not revealed Elizabeth :(
Agree. If I had not read in advance that Elizabeth's family was against marriage and treated Philip's family badly, I would not have learned this from the series, so all the heroes are plasticine. The series does not reflect the queen's stubborn nature at all. The question arises, why then even shoot a movie about people if the director has no goal to reveal their thoughts, feelings and attitudes towards each other.
Intelligence is the ability to adapt to change. Stephen Hawking.

fabulousfreesia

Post by fabulousfreesia » Mon Jan 11, 2021 10:27 am

I liked the series 'Crown'. But not as a panegyric to the most expensive monarchical dynasty in the world, but as a frank and very detailed exposure of its meaninglessness. Exposure with elements of outright satire. Ruthless in places. But since the queen herself liked the series, we can assume that it is true, and she simply did not notice the critical 'layer'. Or maybe, on the contrary, she saw everything, but made a good face out of habit and kept silent? After all, we understood from the film that the main thing in the 'activity' of this monarch is the ability to listen and be silent. A very dubious merit.
The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched - they must be felt with the heart.

Oneia

Post by Oneia » Tue Jan 12, 2021 9:41 am

do not know... Over the past two years, the series Crown has caused me more and more positive emotions, and there are so many thoughts for discussion that a thousand words will not be enough to describe even one season. But it gets more interesting as we get closer to times not so distant ... I found that the fourth season has become for me the most anticipated film event this year, and I look forward to the fifth one just as much.
Dopamine Addicted

Rincewind1

Post by Rincewind1 » Tue Jan 12, 2021 9:55 am

Generally speaking, the show is simply amazing! This is the case when it is clear that the authors directly felt everything themselves. I am very pleased with the story of Prince Phillip in Season 2. Thanks to her, you perceive and empathize with the character. Actually, I think every season there was an emphasis on someone specific, besides the rest of the Royal Family. For example, in season 1, there was an obvious emphasis on Elizabeth, in season 2, on Phillip and Princess Margaret so far (which turned out just amazing!), And in season 3, probably, Prince Charles (yes, yes., i consider him as very cute)
The best preparation for tomorrow is doing your best today. H. Jackson Brown, Jr.

Supergirl

Post by Supergirl » Tue Jan 12, 2021 10:08 am

In my opinion, it would be great if series would have at least a bit of humor, it seems that in ten episodes I smiled three times.

In general, this is a beautiful, not too dynamic and exciting action. If it is -30 outside the window, and there is plenty of time, it is quite suitable to kill time.
Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence.

Eredin

Post by Eredin » Tue Jan 12, 2021 10:16 am

The series is quite expensive (budget $ 156 million). Although it is very difficult to understand where the money is spent. The creators say that the costumes and interiors were recreated, attention was paid to every little detail in order to convey the royal ambience with the utmost realism. Was it successful? Probably. Although only historians and art critics will be able to unequivocally answer this question. Can be compared to the movie "The King's Speech!" (budget $ 15,000,000), as the film is about the same time and also concerns the royal family of Great Britain. Both in the film and in the series, the era is presented quite realistically, at least no one rides a gyro-scooter and does not post cats on social networks. But the filmmakers managed to keep within a smaller budget without sacrificing, at the same time, the realism of the props, costumes and sets.

The series "The Crown" is rather chamber-like, many scenes take place in rooms with a small number of actors involved in the frame. And again, you can draw an analogy with the movie "The King's Speech!" It is not clear why many scenes in the series take place in semi-gloomy rooms, apparently to give some understatement and intimacy. But nothing of the kind is felt. Unlike the film, where muted colors complement the emotions of the protagonists, the series is simply dark. I would like to propose to turn on the light and add emotion to what is happening.
Don’t Let Yesterday Take Up Too Much Of Today

Dangerous

Post by Dangerous » Wed Jan 13, 2021 9:03 am

In general, of course, I liked it. Palaces, costumes, pearls - the brilliant transfer of the atmosphere was quite successful.
No matter what a woman looks like, if she's confident, she's sexy.

Gor

Post by Gor » Wed Jan 13, 2021 9:53 am

Is it only me was constantly pissed off by Philip? He himself knew what he was doing. And everything was showing off. Subjected to the crown and hurt Elizabeth and Charles. He has a hard fate, of course, but he often exchanged masculinity for childishness, ugh ... And, by the way, the most interesting episode is episode 9 of the second season.
There was only gold, and power, and the bodies of women, and steel.