Battlestar Galactica

Vanity Fair

Battlestar Galactica

Post by Vanity Fair » Wed Jan 26, 2022 12:04 am

But then you can say the ending is stupid, not the entire 4th season. I guess you can distinguish praise from saying that the misunderstanding has not been noticed?
All is vanity, nothing is fair

Ciliren

Battlestar Galactica

Post by Ciliren » Wed Jan 26, 2022 12:08 am

In the fourth season, the farther the worse, and in the final it reaches a shocking apogee.
The moment you doubt whether you can fly, you cease for ever to be able to do it

Perv

Battlestar Galactica

Post by Perv » Wed Jan 26, 2022 12:38 am

I heard from a friend :).
Programmatically, I avoid series. I made an exception for the first season of "Game of Thrones" (good, but I did not get down on my knees, I prefer the book) and "American Horror Story" (which I was already very excited about).
It's so good being bad

Gor

Battlestar Galactica

Post by Gor » Wed Jan 26, 2022 1:06 am

I used to have that too. Fortunately, I "got over". ;)
There was only gold, and power, and the bodies of women, and steel.

Brerg

Battlestar Galactica

Post by Brerg » Wed Jan 26, 2022 1:28 am

In the latest issue of "NF", 10/2012, there is a column by our fantastic idol, Peter Watts (including the creator of "Blindness" - as if who did not know), entitled "Unworthy endings" in which the author presents his opinion on "Battlestar Galactica" which somehow confirms the opinion / feelings of ASX. Some good quotes:

"In the" BSG "series, the finale was screwed up so giggling that I can't even watch those good episodes anymore, they know what they're leading to dirty when they are dirty."

"But if you're creating a story with a mystery or mystery, you should know the solution before you start writing the last chapter. Moore was just making things up as we wrote it. We started on the threshold of some great structure, we were breathlessly exploring more beautiful rooms; we absorbed more clues in the belief that in the end, everything will make sense. At the end, however, we were breathless only by the extreme pointlessness of explaining that the answer to every puzzle is the words: "Because it was God's will." There was no structure, just a few random rooms, connected, because just in this configuration they looked cool. Without a supporting structure they collapsed into rubble in the last episode "

"Ultimately, humanity finds the legendary" Earth "it was so desperately looking for: a bomb cradle, a radioactive ashtray, an empty punch line for some cosmic joke. Everything starts to fall apart. Dualla shoots itself in the head. Half of those we know and love rebel against it. against the other half; the entire fleet turns into a shooting range. I was wondering then: Is this the end? Should the last pathetic remnants of humanity hunt each other in the leaking corridors, huddling around makeshift fires after the lights go out? Will this epic tale end? a shot of the wreckage of a colossus once known as Galactica, gliding majestically towards the frosty cosmic void, while the remnants of the crew in groups die as their breaths freeze in the icy air?
I wish so much for them to take this path, rather than stray into a forced, incoherent and - worst of all - unworthy happy ending. If they did, they would close the circle so beautifully, end the show with the answer to the question that started it all.
No, that would not be the answer to all questions. It wouldn't even be an attempt. And that wouldn't be a problem. Sometimes mysteries should go unresolved. Remember the lonely petrified Pilot in the original Alien; remember all the unanswered questions filling this strange department. Remember the contemptuous caricature that arose when, more than thirty years later, Ridley Scott decided to dispel these mysteries in "Prometheus": equally regrettable was Ronald Moore's attempt to cover himself with God when he could not escape he drove himself "
Death is lighter than a feather. Duty, heavier than a mountain.

Veldrin

Battlestar Galactica

Post by Veldrin » Wed Jan 26, 2022 2:59 am

I also agree with this opinion. the closer to the end the BSG got less bearable. As for Prometheus, 'contemptible charity' is a good but very delicate term.
...disbelief in magic can force a poor soul into believing in government and business...

Vanity Fair

Battlestar Galactica

Post by Vanity Fair » Wed Jan 26, 2022 4:23 am

Watts' final was excellent.
All is vanity, nothing is fair

Gor

Battlestar Galactica

Post by Gor » Wed Jan 26, 2022 5:42 am

This would be a very sensible / logical solution.
I also wouldn't mind if the show ended a few moments after this ruined Earth was found.
There was only gold, and power, and the bodies of women, and steel.

Ciliren

Battlestar Galactica

Post by Ciliren » Wed Jan 26, 2022 6:04 am

No sensible manufacturer would allow such an ending.
The moment you doubt whether you can fly, you cease for ever to be able to do it

Perv

Battlestar Galactica

Post by Perv » Wed Jan 26, 2022 8:00 am

Strictly negative endings aren't something the general public would accept - so producers wouldn't agree to it. If it were a niche series, with one season unwritten on a regular basis, it would be ok.
Besides, the overtone of the whole BG was not pessimistic, so it would not fit the whole.
Anyway, you might consider finding the ruined Earth as the ending, and the subsequent episodes as dreams and dreams of the crew.
It's so good being bad