Battlestar Galactica

Vanity Fair

Battlestar Galactica

Post by Vanity Fair » Fri Jan 21, 2022 7:02 pm

But they were capable of interbreeding with "aliens", that is, people from the colonies. Did you know that the ancestors of Homo sapiens could interbreed with Neanderthals? Such a digression :)
And I would bet on adaptation to the new environment. I even read a few scientific theories that millennia ago "humanity" was reduced to a population that could count even less than 30k individuals due to climatic conditions. More than once. This is evidenced, inter alia, by the relatively low diversity of our gene pool (always at some point in time this pool was drastically reduced, or something like that).
All is vanity, nothing is fair

Hawking

Battlestar Galactica

Post by Hawking » Fri Jan 21, 2022 7:29 pm

Personally - I have concerns.

1. The RDM version was close to the ideal and it would be best (especially as Caprica will appear on the screens soon) if, for the next ... say 5 years, no one was going to rewrite the BSG.
2. Hollywood produces more and more rubbish - like G.I. Joe !!!! - where special effects count and the plot is very often forgotten - and it is such a stretched carbon paper, making a total idiot to see that you refuse to watch anything related to sf (in Galactica RDM it was the other way around - the first place was taken by characters and a solid plot, on the background was special effects).
Intelligence is the ability to adapt to change. Stephen Hawking.

Perv

Battlestar Galactica

Post by Perv » Fri Jan 21, 2022 7:50 pm

1. I am puzzled by your objection to the rework given that the show has ended. Even if the film turns out to be weak (although it does not have to be), it does not detract from the class of Ron (lda) Moore & Co ...
Maybe something cool will come out? Well, you are not risking anything ... And what are those 5 years of "quarantine"? ;)
What would be your reaction if after watching "BSG" you said that you do not like it and later found out that a remake is being prepared? :-P
However ... Regardless of what will be, what will be and when it will be, the premiere of the film may contribute to the popularization of "BSG" in Poland (and not only).

2. Hollywood has spent a lot of trash for a long time. The last few years have been particularly abundant in their rash. The plot is not so much forgotten as it is made as shallow as possible so that even the American half-heartedness understands what is going on. In many productions, special effects dominate the stories told, often presented in a rudimentary, simplified form and the same toilet-paper heroes who do not go beyond the roles / patterns strictly assigned to individual characters: good (up to puke) and bad (to the point of exaggeration) ). Which of course does not mean that everything they produced is up to ...
Since Singer's project did not appeal to the station at that time, it is a good sign ...
If the plot turns out to be meaningful and will follow different tracks than in the series, then it would be an additional flavor ...
For now, there are too many unknowns to be tempted to make any conclusions. Who has no fear ...? ;)
It's so good being bad

Anansi

Battlestar Galactica

Post by Anansi » Fri Jan 21, 2022 8:47 pm

If the film turns out to be such crap as most of the sci-fi film, it will rather scare the uninitiated away from the series.
Everybody going to be dead one day, just give them time

Brerg

Battlestar Galactica

Post by Brerg » Fri Jan 21, 2022 9:07 pm

And I am surprised by your words ... Why?
Because Singer's vision differs from the entire RDM series.
Imagine the action of Singer's movie takes place 23 years after the classic BSG version of the '70s.
The fleet abandoned the search for land, settled on an asteroid they called (xD) New Caprica, Adama died twenty-something years ago after the great battle that Galactica fought with the Cylons - toasters since then neither widu nor hear, the new commander of Galactica is Boxey, the president New Caprica is a woman ... and him! This is where the action starts ... It's like Singer has lowered the veil of silence on purpose for the last five years and the entire RDM series.
THIS is not a rewrite? ;>

And there is one more version of the movie that is circulating around the Internet: the plot would focus on Apollo - who turned to the dark side of the force (read: the Cylons turned him into a toaster) and his son wants to save his father ... GHEN!
It might as well have the opposite effect - taking into account the recent Hollywood movies, I have no doubt that it will be rubbish - people after watching the cinematic version (different from the RDM series) will find that SF is the bottom and will not want to watch the series.
Death is lighter than a feather. Duty, heavier than a mountain.

Murin

Battlestar Galactica

Post by Murin » Fri Jan 21, 2022 9:54 pm

The only positive from this news is the person of Bryan Singer. Although Valkyrie is a boring film and you don't know what it is. But his previous works deserve warm appraisal. Unfortunately, he probably did not climb the level of the next films above The Suspects.

I don't really like the idea of bringing the story to the big screen. It threatens with shallow plots, a fast-paced plot focused on action and effects - as long as you close in up to 3 hours. And how long was the pilot for the series?
Would you like me to put you out of your misery, before I put you out of your misery?

Alfa

Battlestar Galactica

Post by Alfa » Fri Jan 21, 2022 10:24 pm

Okay, I understand your doubts (arguments cannot be called arguments, because they are only speculations / predictions - it might as well be the other way around, so for now ... a draw?;)), But ... what will the plot and everything else look like? this remains to be seen in the future.

If the ignorant have a bit of "oil in their head", they know that a different team will be responsible for the production ... And since other creators, then the product too ... Possible success may help more (Hollywood productions have much better advertising. .., which may encourage the series ...) than failure to harm (I will mention the Czech Republic again - there were no cinema films, and the series was lost anyway ... so it couldn't be worse).

If you used your point of view, the new version of "BSG" would never see the light of day, because it was made on the basis / motives of the old one, and this one, if you believe the opinions, was so-so ... So why produce a remake ...?

Thomas, your thesis of no doubt is based on a shaky construction because not all Hollywood movies are crap.

Let me support you with the example of the adaptation of Matheson's book. "I am a Legend" ... The film was poor, which did not prevent him from achieving financial success.
It also did not hurt the sale of the novel in Poland, and even helped ... So not so quickly with this "sorcery".
“All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them.” – Walt Disney.

Kaikki

Battlestar Galactica

Post by Kaikki » Fri Jan 21, 2022 11:00 pm

You're right. It will be a movie epic, not a series epic, and there is no point in setting yourself on fire for any allegiance to the series. Maybe it's better, because an attempt to face the plot of the series through a cinema film is doomed to failure. Summarize 4 seasons and long pilot in one movie? So a different view of this story may be for me, as a fan of Ronald D. Moore's series, an effective variation, a novelty. I do not cross out, I do not condemn. They are skeptical - but maybe they will convince me.
I think love is stronger than habits or circumstances. I think it is possible to keep yourself for someone for a long time and still remember why you were waiting when she comes at last.

Onirke

Battlestar Galactica

Post by Onirke » Fri Jan 21, 2022 11:31 pm

I was able to finish watching the series.

At the end of season 4, too much happened. The screenwriter must have gotten a lot of ideas and stuffed them as much as possible. I am looking forward to the 5th season. We'll see what it will be
Be the change that you wish to see in the world.

Gor

Battlestar Galactica

Post by Gor » Sat Jan 22, 2022 1:07 am

According to the current (but not binding) trend, when a production achieves at least a lot of success, creators / producers often try to take advantage of this situation by shooting / making sequels, prequels ... or whatever else they will shoot at their heads. Science fiction, although it does not lack very interesting productions, such as "Blade runner", "Terminator" 1, 2, "Alien" 1, 2 ..., suffers from a lack of class series. Actually, apart from the brilliant "Battlestar Galactica", which will hopefully become something of a breakthrough and initiate / encourage the creation of stories based more on story and characters rather than special effects above all, while not respecting the intelligence of the average viewer, you can't see anything at least half as valuable and exciting.

"Caprica" ??is a prequel to "BSG", that is, it tells about the events that unfolded earlier. We have the opportunity to get to know, among others: Joseph Adama and the young future commander of the famous ship, and above all, finally find out how it all began ...
In 2010, the production of the series, which is supposed to have 18 episodes ... is to be understood in the first season, is expected to start in full swing, because I do not believe that it would end with only one. :-) Ronald Moore is of course responsible for the script. :-)
After watching the pilot that opens the prequel to "BSG", I am full of optimism.
E. Stoltz (Greystone) and E. Morales (Joseph Adam) are the right people in the right places. Oh, and there's even Atia from "Rome" aka Polly Walker. :-) This time in a very "religious" role and unfortunately (for the second time) - he has dark hair ...;)
Story-wise, it's very interesting (I won't spoil) and addictive. Some great dialogues dealing with important ethical / moral issues. E. Morales is very persuasive. I really want to continue.
There was only gold, and power, and the bodies of women, and steel.