Mad Men

Perv

Mad Men

Post by Perv » Sun Jan 09, 2022 4:57 am

For me, who follows "these" (or maybe "this"?), The forum a bit to the side, you are one of the main characters (not authorities, because for me this concept is very pejorative).
So far, the best for me have been two series: Nip / Tuck and The Shield. In each of them there was what I liked: sometimes the atmosphere, sometimes the intrigue (incidentally I love the many-fold intrigue;)) manifested in the dramaturgy - combined with brilliant acting.
Your explanation of why you feel Mad Med as sueprserial appeals to me very much. I like tastes, but as you know, the collection point is very dependent on what you have experienced so far.
Small nuances - as long as it proves the value of the production - is not enough
It's so good being bad

Pensmug

Mad Men

Post by Pensmug » Sun Jan 09, 2022 6:07 am

The problem with "Mad Men" is that it is located in a specific place and time, what matters in it is a cultural context that is a bit strange for us. Because what do we know about the 1960s in America? Quotations, references (eg to Howard Roark, the hero of Ayn Rand's novel "The Source") sometimes seem obvious and sometimes it just sounds like gibberish. If you are watching "pirated" versions downloaded from the Internet using network subtitles, that's great. Because, once again, hats off to these translations. On television, the dialogues are simplified and they lose their flavors, e.g. one of the heroes is called Campbell, which was ironically emphasized several times (for obvious reasons, i.e. the famous work of A. Warhol, I guess) and the Polish official translation in general the whole context it crushed and sent into oblivion.
One day, you will be old enough to start reading fairytales again.

Alfa

Mad Men

Post by Alfa » Sun Jan 09, 2022 7:15 am

It just so happens that, being French-speaking, I have to use online translations.
And I consider them to be completely sufficient.
Of course, I have no idea what happened in the 1960s. IN USA.
References to Aynd Rand are close to my heart. She is a world-class author. Literature genius ..
“All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them.” – Walt Disney.

Onirke

Mad Men

Post by Onirke » Sun Jan 09, 2022 8:52 am

These were great scenes and dialogues in previous seasons. The fourth one has not really started up too much. Some people expected the beginning to be more exciting - one strong scene in three episodes is not enough, however. ;)

"Mad Men" is AMC's most important production, whether they like it or not. I always preferred "Breaking Bad", but in the case of "MM" I have a lot of arrears, and there they say the farther, the better.

Once "BB" is over, then AMC will have nothing classy to offer except "MM". So all hope is in the newest offers of this station, because neither "The Killing", nor even "The Walking Dead", do not bode well in a qualitative sense.
Be the change that you wish to see in the world.

Gor

Mad Men

Post by Gor » Sun Jan 09, 2022 10:16 am

I do not know how much MAD MEN has earned for the station - I suspect that a lot and that they are not adding to him, because they would not cost themselves Weiner and would not give him such money, such freedom as after the 4th season. Surely, therefore, MAD MEN is pulling AMC forward and it paid off to invest in this series. Besides, what would not write about BREAKING BAD good (and you can probably do a lot - I don't know, because after the second season I didn't want to continue watching) - MAD MEN gives the station not only money. It gives great prestige. It's not just a series, it's also a pop-culture phenomenon (or at least that's what a critic from the NYT or the New Yorker said :))
They will probably find something :) There are no indispensable series;)
But I disagree with you about THE WALKING DEAD. Because this series can only get better. Perhaps Darabont's departure would serve him well? We'll find out soon.
As for THE KILLING, I reluctantly agree with you. Through the finale of the first season, which made me feel happy. Maybe it will somehow develop in the second season. But if they push the story to the bottom and bottom, I'll get impatient and stop watching.
There was only gold, and power, and the bodies of women, and steel.

Matsui

Mad Men

Post by Matsui » Sun Jan 09, 2022 11:53 am

The premiere of THE KILLING Season 2 was a bit disappointing, but I thought it was going to be worse. However, somehow I am not smiling another season with the mystery of "who killed Rosie". At some point, I can just say who cares? I liked what was done with Holder. He's the most interesting character in the show at this point. Rosie's father is a bit tiring. And in fact, the matter of the backpack is puzzling. And its current owner. I am more interested in this than in why Holder has acted as it has thus far.

But watching RED RIDING hit my head. The movies were too good to jump into THE KILLING right after. But I am not crossing out this series yet.

CALIFORNICATION - for a moment watching the final episode of season 5, I was hoping that the creators could see that they were eating their own tail (in a good style), but still decided to dose some progress so as not to get the show with the same theme over and over again. However, I come to the conclusion that the creators see that they are eating their own tail and they don't care - just to suck everything out of the plot. Until next season. They do it perfectly well, but despite everything, despite the cool characters, humor, and nice atmosphere of this series - it's still cannibalism. However, I will watch season 6 anyway.

EDIT: I would forget MAD MEN. I will write briefly. After the two premiere episodes of the 5th season, I already understand what the teenagers felt when they ripped their underwear in a frenzy at the sight of The Beatles. I have that with this series. The premiere of the 5th season is certainly not optimistic. At first I was surprised to see Don happy. But after his 40th birthday party, things changed. Although the final of the double premiere episode still promises to be idyllic, it is not so obvious at all. The series finale will take place in season 7, but in the season 5 finale some interesting solutions may come about. Especially with Roger who is definitely going downhill. And Pete might finally start acting like a mean corporate male, not a crap for recognition. At the end of the episode he showed the boy a claw. Poor Roger, I really like him. A Megan is soooo hot
The sun does not abandon the moon to darkness.

Devil Baby

Mad Men

Post by Devil Baby » Sun Jan 09, 2022 1:49 pm

"The Killing" - s02e03. Sure, the episode is weaker, but it wasn't that bad yet. that is, it could have been worse :)

"Smash" - Episode 9 restored my faith in this series. I am glad that he got his second season. This could be the most interesting new production on American (free) TV this season. However, it was not a spectacular success. However, the station probably believed in this series, although it stands in the middle. Not yet the level of cable TV series and scrambled stations, but not the level of "Glee" and other tricks. An excellent idea, from my point of view, was to focus on the backstage of making a Broadway musical. The story is surprising (although some purely moral threads can be boring) and the originality associated with the music. This is - there are covers, but there are also original songs written for the show, and it's a nice breath of fresh air. Finally - a nice cast: debutant Katharine McPhee, a bit unpleasant Megan Hilty, Anjelica Huston and my beloved, i.e. Debra Messing :) and Jake Davenport (what a series without a British cast :)). A very nice production.

"Mad Men" - I would like to be an actor and play even a doormat for one of the heroes of this series. I wasn't worried about the show's level at all, but I'm relieved to say it's not even slightly worse than in previous seasons. If it wasn't for "Doctor Who" and the overdue episodes of "Justified", I would watch episode 4 of season 5 today. But I will save myself a feast for tomorrow. What shocked me is the state in which the viewer meets Betty. SZOOOOK !!! As a rule of thumb, a year passes between the finals of each season. But I find it hard to believe that Betty was brought to this point in her life in a year. Before that, she was a beautiful, statuesque, but cold and unhappy woman. Awakening and compassion and anger. Why is Matthew Weiner bullying her so much now? While Don thrives alongside the mouth-watering Megan?
Sell your soul

Vanity Fair

Mad Men

Post by Vanity Fair » Sun Jan 09, 2022 2:09 pm

Mad men:
That's why it is so :) This transformation of Betty has - most likely - a psychological basis. I think the girl found out she still loves Don. Is anyone but me admitting the possibility that Betty did not tell her current husband the truth about what she heard from the doctor? This would explain Don's lack of a phone call and her behavior in the episode 3 finale.
All is vanity, nothing is fair

Woland

Mad Men

Post by Woland » Sun Jan 09, 2022 2:56 pm

Betty is perhaps the most tragic character in this series. The fact that Betty may even regret how her life with her new husband turned out occurred to me after one of the episodes of Season 4. Maybe when Don announced his intention to marry Megan. Or maybe earlier this season, because there was a great episode: women (Betty, Peggy, Joan) "versus" Don.

As for that diagnosis, you puzzled me because I didn't think of it that way.

Perv

Mad Men

Post by Perv » Sun Jan 09, 2022 4:40 pm

MAD MEN - Season 5 Episode 4, was weird. In the positive sense of the word. Not much happened, although in this series it is the norm. But still, I couldn't take my eyes off. An episode - first grade. However, I don't know what those scenes with sick Don and his former lover were for. Transformation? If so, this is bad, because it had to take place already in the 4th season. Fighting temptations? It's better here, albeit vaguely. In general, the episode deserves a mention due to Joan (she finally opened her eyes / got rid of her illusions?) And the topic related to the murderer of 8 nurses, who introduced a slightly psychotic mood among the heroes, even though they were safe for a moment. The idea was to show social psychosis on a micro scale. I don't know what that was supposed to do, it looked more like - not pinned or unfastened - some version of a Halloween episode. But it was cool.
MAGIC CITY - after the first episode I am positive. He showed too little to be elated, but it bodes well for the next episodes.
It's so good being bad