Mad Men

Sylfil

Mad Men

Post by Sylfil » Mon Jan 10, 2022 3:27 am

And it got to the point that this is another topic in which only me unsubscribes.

Lane's plot in the last episode (s05e10), although a bit comical, seemed to me unnecessarily pressed into the plot of the episode. The scenes with Don and Joan and Don and Megan were great. Especially with Megan, who made Don realize that his personal happiness translates into the quality of his work. Or rather, its deterioration. And in the finale, with Don announcing blood, sweat and tears over the work to get the Jaguar - will this lead to a crisis with Megan? I doubt it because I think Don found happiness with her. But the conversation with Joan in the bar suggests something else?

The plot of H. Crane and Kinsey returning, apparently for one episode, as a recruiter for the Krishnowites was also funny. I am a backwarder, but I could not resist the merciless mockery of this movement, which was gaining strength then, as well as this pseudo-spirituality of the "Age of Aquarius", which will break out in the 1970s (?).

By the way - since the plot of the 5th season is 1967 and the action will probably hit 1968, the 6th season will cover the years 1969 - 1970, so the 7th season of the series will take place in 1971-1972. I wonder if Matthew Weiner will add an epilogue in the finale, because it seems to me that the series asks to show Don in his retirement, maybe in the 90s of the twentieth century. Or maybe in zeros (although it's probably too far). Weiner mentioned in one of the interviews that he imagines Don "today" (because he did not say what that meant) as a retired person. I hope it will "pour" this vision into the script.
Fantasy is hardly an escape from reality. It's a way of understanding it

Takwir

Mad Men

Post by Takwir » Mon Jan 10, 2022 4:00 am

Apparently, only you have enough time to watch it all. : badgrin:

At Sundance or whatever that TV channel is called in June, they are starting their first season. I'm gonna start watching.
Courage does not always roar. Valor does not always shine.

Triss Merigold

Mad Men

Post by Triss Merigold » Mon Jan 10, 2022 5:09 am

At FoxLife, they are currently giving their newest season. Older seasons on Fox. But 1 has already "flew". Worth a look, though you may not like it right away. For me, it took a second attempt. And now I cannot imagine that I could let it go, since each subsequent season is better than the previous one, and there are already five of them (out of seven planned).
I always try to suit my clothes to my company. It is the only way to be inconspicuous.

Brerg

Mad Men

Post by Brerg » Mon Jan 10, 2022 6:41 am

Cool, in the voice of a crying in the wilderness, you turned me on and I'll probably start.
Death is lighter than a feather. Duty, heavier than a mountain.

Murin

Mad Men

Post by Murin » Mon Jan 10, 2022 7:23 am

In fact, Romulus, it started to look like your original subject, but don't worry - I also watch MM, although not up-to-date - yesterday I saw episode 8, I'm slowly catching up. I do not enter here, because I do not have much to say about this series, I have no reason to complain, it's good;)
Would you like me to put you out of your misery, before I put you out of your misery?

Kaikki

Mad Men

Post by Kaikki » Mon Jan 10, 2022 7:26 am

Ha! S05e10 - what was that? I repeat myself in every post, but haven't watched the weak episode of season 5 yet. It is simply impossible and I must be wrong. Episode 10 was perfect. First of all, Joan - the submitted proposal and its repercussions should effectively spoil Don's taste of success. But - to judge - that's what this business is like. I think :) I wonder if it will affect the Don? Because he wanted to win and he didn't want to "sacrifice" Joanie. And when it turned out that when he came to her apartment it was over - great motive. So is Joan's "sacrifice". Not for free, and with Lane's help, it could be the perfect move for her. But Lane, who allegedly had feelings for her, wasn't all that selfless.

Peggy's storyline was worthy of the season finale. But two more episodes. Matthew Weiner in two scenes allowed Peggy to be shown as a character who had grown above the men with whom she competed. And the third scene, when she met Chough, was a different level for her and only then she felt it herself. As a consequence, the end of the episode was very sad - for a fan of the series. And very promising.
I think love is stronger than habits or circumstances. I think it is possible to keep yourself for someone for a long time and still remember why you were waiting when she comes at last.

Irakhash

Mad Men

Post by Irakhash » Mon Jan 10, 2022 9:05 am

I watch on a regular basis, but Romulus will always include everything I have to say in his posts, so I'm not duplicating it :) This time, however, I have to. The episode was brilliant, I don't know if it's not the best in the whole series.

I wonder if Joan had known earlier that Don was against, would she have gone? I don't think so.
But Peggy wins - Don's face when he realized her decision was no joke and a tactical move was priceless.
Again, it seems to me that had it not been for Joan's promotion, Peggy would not have made up her mind, after all.
Mortals cannot perceive me with the physical eye whilst in my pure form unless it is of my choosing, for it would result in fatality, which begs the question of why you are an exception.

Hawking

Mad Men

Post by Hawking » Mon Jan 10, 2022 9:08 am

Come on. I am waiting until the last episode to say that everything that I wrote about season 5 so far does not make sense. And it's definitely about the "end of Don's world".
He left me with that impression as well (although my favorites are still the two episodes from season 4, the one where Don started writing his diary and the episode "The Suitcase").
I guess Lane's proposal was decisive here. And Jane did it without sentiment - treated it as a business. One can wonder if in this way she did not allow herself to be degraded to a woman for the macho version - that is, such as other secretaries treated by the Lords of the World. But probably not - because the award was royal (as long as the company does not collapse, of course).
I think in season 3, when they were setting up their own agency and Don was persuading Peggy to go with them, he said that if she accepted an offer from someone else, he would spend the rest of his career trying to get her back. I wonder if he will fight for her. And whether - if she fails - she will treat the thing with sentiment (that is, extend her hand to it) or without sentiment.
Intelligence is the ability to adapt to change. Stephen Hawking.

Vataes

Mad Men

Post by Vataes » Mon Jan 10, 2022 10:11 am

The 12th episode of season 5 provided a great WOW! Basically I don't know what to write. Everyone is excited about the Poland-Greece match, and I am more into what happened in this episode. I did not expect such a turn of events. And before I started writing, I read the post
Every time you take one path, you must live with the memory of the other: of a life left unchosen.

Anansi

Mad Men

Post by Anansi » Mon Jan 10, 2022 10:21 am

There were episodes in episode 11 and 12 that could be the season finale. But there was also Episode 13 and - thankfully - it was a MadMen-style finale. It is very good that the most important plot twists of this season were not left for the finale. This makes it easy to make viewers accustomed to the final pierdo ...... a. :)

As for the dispute over this season and its "betterness", it can be boiled down to a simple question: was "Mad Men" season 5 as perfect as the previous ones, or was it better?

Matthew Weiner has done something that I don't think happens often. He created a series that gets better with each season. How many such examples can you indicate? I would only swiftly replace "The Wire". And the common denominator of both works is the artistic independence of their creators. Independence from the manufacturer and its requirements, subordinating everything to your vision and its implementation.

It took a long time to wait for the 5th season. Because there were disputes between Weiner and AMC. Probably not about the plot of the series, but about the money. Weiner must be paying dearly for his talent and title rights. And if AMC regretted the money after the 4th season and ongoing negotiations, then after the 5th season they should stop regretting and pamper the team as much as they can. Because "Mad Men" is the best TV series in recent years. You can probably call it a classic of the genre. Completely impossible to counterfeit. A phenomenon that is difficult to put into words or capture.

Because is success determined only by nostalgia for the 1960s of today's elderly people? I doubt it.

This is the second series that made me want to get my PhD on it :) The first is "The Wire".

And about the plot itself. Was the finale perverse? Peter's thread was certainly sad, but somehow it remained indifferent. Weiner does not let him like this hero, and yet he wants to feel sorry for him, and when I was on the verge of feeling sorry for his fate, suddenly Peter acted so as not to deserve this sympathy. This is an excellent character.

The second is Roger Sterling played sensational by John Slattery. For all the demons of Hell, someone finally give him a Golden Globe or an Emmy, because he is the most underestimated character from this series. And the actor is wonderful, and probably in his life role.

Finally, the main character. Don Draper - a character that cannot be defined or deciphered. In the next two seasons, anything can happen and there is no way to guess. Everything that I wrote about Don before still remains written with a stick on the water. I imagined that he himself was overtaken by the world. That I did not catch the departing train of the 1960s "revolution". This is still pending. But what I didn't take into account was that Don didn't have to catch a train. Megan should be worried about it sooner. But not Don.

And finally. Shirley Bassey - "You only live twice". Until now, I only associated the song with Bond. After this episode and the immeasurable nostalgia hidden in this track, associations with Bond probably don't stand a chance. I recommend this scene - as long as it's online. This is the season 5 finale, but you don't need to worry about spoilers:
Everybody going to be dead one day, just give them time