Which older / more serious fantasy books do you recommend?

Veldrin

Re: Which older / more serious fantasy books do you recommend?

Post by Veldrin » Thu Jan 14, 2021 9:41 am

The Archive is more youthful than adult, but I would recommend it for anyway.
This is a bit of an anime, I would like to see a game or movie adaptation because what goes there sometimes is craziness :)
...disbelief in magic can force a poor soul into believing in government and business...

Sylfil

Post by Sylfil » Thu Jan 14, 2021 10:02 am

The Magisters, the first volume is the Feast of Souls. Author C. S. Friedman.
Fantasy is hardly an escape from reality. It's a way of understanding it

Onirke

Post by Onirke » Fri Jan 15, 2021 2:00 pm

I recommend the book Pure Evil The Power of the Undead - there is no sex there :P, but there is a lot of blood, murder, torture and it is set in fantasy lights. In addition, it is accompanied by the evil hero of the Undead to capture a cool atmosphere.
Be the change that you wish to see in the world.

Perv

Post by Perv » Fri Jan 15, 2021 2:20 pm

Eredin wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 9:33 am I'm looking for some adult fantasy book with an extensive plot, curses, sex, brutal descriptions, and maybe some bigger battles. It's supposed to be something like The Witcher or a Song of Ice and Fire.
So far, apart from the above-mentioned books, I have read the Acts of Caine and the rest are more "innocent" items.

For now, I'm keeping an eye on the Black Company and the Night Angel Saga. Does the latter in particular meet my requirements?
An adult book is always an embarrassing term. Because as if from the very assumption all fantasy would have to fall off in the run, because even princesses, monsters and the whistle of the sword should not be recommended to an "adult"

On the other hand, I am already an adult, I have stubble, pubic hair and I can drink beer in front of my parents, and I fell in love again with books about the struggle of kids with the invader from the series - "Green Street Cacti" - this time reading them out loud with my daughter. So be smart here. :)

Nevertheless, the last two fantasies that I read without moving my lips, and which in one way or another made me a lot of fun are the author Celia Friedman, mentioned in this thread.

The Cold Fire Trilogy series has a lot of charm, and although the components seem not to be original because we have a team of daredevils against the eternal evil, the author quickly dispels the illusion of redundancy, influencing the ambiguous waters, among others. thanks to the positive character who feeds on the fear and pain of the innocent, who gained his powers by torturing his wife and children.

The second book is the Red Knight - Christian Cameron. Again, at first glance, there is little "adulthood" here, just a gang of mercenaries under the command of the eponymous knight is hired to defend the women's order, but I will rather postpone reading it with my daughter until she is a bit older, i.e. around thirty. :)
It's so good being bad

Devil Baby

Post by Devil Baby » Fri Jan 15, 2021 2:42 pm

Nobody has mentioned Kres books yet? Basically everything worth reading, novels and short stories. The only problem is that the cycle is not finished because the author seems to have lost his spirit ...
Sell your soul