Which older / more serious fantasy books do you recommend?

Eredin

Which older / more serious fantasy books do you recommend?

Post by Eredin » Mon Jan 11, 2021 9:33 am

I'm looking for some adult fantasy book with an extensive plot, curses, sex, brutal descriptions, and maybe some bigger battles. It's supposed to be something like The Witcher or a Song of Ice and Fire.
So far, apart from the above-mentioned books, I have read the Acts of Caine and the rest are more "innocent" items.

For now, I'm keeping an eye on the Black Company and the Night Angel Saga. Does the latter in particular meet my requirements?
Don’t Let Yesterday Take Up Too Much Of Today

Hawking

Re: Which older / more serious fantasy books do you recommend?

Post by Hawking » Mon Jan 11, 2021 10:14 am

Malazan Book of the Fallen by Steven Erikson
Intelligence is the ability to adapt to change. Stephen Hawking.

fabulousfreesia

Post by fabulousfreesia » Mon Jan 11, 2021 10:26 am

Yes, but for a better understanding of what's going on, it's a good idea to combine this series with

Novels of the Malazan Empire by Ian Cameron Esslemont

And to supplement some threads, I recommend it

The Tales of Bauchelain and Korbal Broach.
The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched - they must be felt with the heart.

Oneia

Post by Oneia » Tue Jan 12, 2021 9:43 am

Eredin wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 9:33 am I'm looking for some adult fantasy book with an extensive plot, curses, sex, brutal descriptions, and maybe some bigger battles. It's supposed to be something like The Witcher or a Song of Ice and Fire.
So far, apart from the above-mentioned books, I have read the Acts of Caine and the rest are more "innocent" items.

For now, I'm keeping an eye on the Black Company and the Night Angel Saga. Does the latter in particular meet my requirements?
I recommend the series "Tales from the Meekhan Borderland" by Robert Wegner.
Dopamine Addicted

Rincewind1

Post by Rincewind1 » Tue Jan 12, 2021 9:53 am

Eredin wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 9:33 am I'm looking for some adult fantasy book with an extensive plot, curses, sex, brutal descriptions, and maybe some bigger battles. It's supposed to be something like The Witcher or a Song of Ice and Fire.

Lord of the Ice Garden
The best preparation for tomorrow is doing your best today. H. Jackson Brown, Jr.

Supergirl

Post by Supergirl » Tue Jan 12, 2021 10:07 am

I don't know if adult enough it will meet your expectations, but I can highly recommend Peter V. Brett's Demon Cycle. It starts out loosely at first, but over time the books take on a heavier vibe.
Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence.

Dangerous

Post by Dangerous » Wed Jan 13, 2021 9:01 am

Kane, the Mystic Swordsman by Karl Edward Wagner
No matter what a woman looks like, if she's confident, she's sexy.

Gor

Post by Gor » Wed Jan 13, 2021 9:46 am

From here already mentioned with a clear conscience I can recommend:

1. Lord of the Ice Garden - Jarosław Grzedowicz
2. Tales from the Tales from Meekhanese Border - Robert M. Wegner
3. First Law - Joe Abercrombie

They are all full-blooded fantasy, with no princesses, ponies and unnecessary kiri-kiri. Besides, reading them is a real pleasure.
There was only gold, and power, and the bodies of women, and steel.

Leriel

Post by Leriel » Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:18 am

I will recommend the above, i.e.
Lord of the Ice Garden
Demonic cycle (infinite, so you have to wait; /)
The series about the king's king by P. Rothfuss - in my opinion, one of the best fantasy books recently, also unfinished yet
And for me, a real gem - the Storm Light Archive series
two great volumes, a brilliant world, and I envy the first reading
you will not understand everything, but it is a miracle! - as above, we have to wait for the end for many more years

from this author, I will recommend the series The Last Empire and the series Avengers (both may not be super "grown-up" but it is worth reading
in the Avengers there is an interesting world where some people got superpowers but they did not become superheroes but all super-tyrants, that is, as I always imagined it would happen if someone got such powers

when it comes to the Sage of the Night Angel, somehow after the 1st volume I passed my desire to read, but I will definitely be back
and the Black Company - after a few volumes you feel weary

and if you want something less serious this Cycle: Detective Garrett is a good read
We are all searching for someone whose demons play well with ours.

Triss Merigold

Post by Triss Merigold » Thu Jan 14, 2021 9:21 am

I also highly recommend The Stormlight Archive,
I also recommend The Lightbringer Series by Brent Weeks
I always try to suit my clothes to my company. It is the only way to be inconspicuous.