Stephen King

Oneia

Stephen King

Post by Oneia » Fri Jan 08, 2021 9:44 am

Stephen Edwin King (born September 21, 1947) is an American author of horror, supernatural fiction, suspense, crime, science-fiction, and fantasy novels. His books have sold more than 350 million copies, and many have been adapted into films, television series, miniseries, and comic books. King has published 61 novels, including seven under the pen name Richard Bachman, and five non-fiction books. He has also written approximately 200 short stories, most of which have been published in book collections.

King has received Bram Stoker Awards, World Fantasy Awards, and British Fantasy Society Awards. In 2003, the National Book Foundation awarded him the Medal for Distinguished Contribution to American Letters. He has also received awards for his contribution to literature for his entire bibliography, such as the 2004 World Fantasy Award for Life Achievement and the 2007 Grand Master Award from the Mystery Writers of America. In 2015, he was awarded with a National Medal of Arts from the U.S. National Endowment for the Arts for his contributions to literature. He has been described as the "King of Horror", a play on his surname and a reference to his high standing in pop culture.

Have you read his books?
Do you consider him as a good writer?
Which book did you like the most?
Dopamine Addicted

Rincewind1

Re: Stephen King

Post by Rincewind1 » Fri Jan 08, 2021 9:59 am

Oneia wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 9:44 am
Have you read his books?
Do you consider him as a good writer?
Which book did you like the most?
I have read some of his books, and currently I'm hunting for more. I like King's writing style. His books are very engaging .
So far, however, I think my favorite is the 'Green Mile'. I have a fondness for it, I enjoy reading it every time (;
The best preparation for tomorrow is doing your best today. H. Jackson Brown, Jr.

Poison Ivy

Post by Poison Ivy » Fri Jan 08, 2021 10:17 am

Currently, I'm just starting my adventure with King. I am reading "Needful Things". A very mysterious book, it has its own specific atmosphere, I must admit that I like it. I will try to read his other books.
Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.

Supergirl

Post by Supergirl » Fri Jan 08, 2021 11:34 am

Poison Ivy wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 10:17 am Currently, I'm just starting my adventure with King. I am reading "Needful Things". A very mysterious book, it has its own specific atmosphere, I must admit that I like it. I will try to read his other books.
I just finished "Needful Things", a very interesting one. Next ones to read are "Pet Sematary" and "Gerald's Game" .
Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence.

Eredin

Post by Eredin » Mon Jan 11, 2021 9:36 am

King is the same fairy tale writer as Coehlo. They have a light pen, they can tell a story in an easy-to-learn way, but does it prove that they are good books?
When I was a bream I read "The Shining" and "Christine" and his other novels. I was delighted with how King was able to draw the reader into all these stories. Now I think that these were youthful, naive fascinations;)
Don’t Let Yesterday Take Up Too Much Of Today

Hawking

Post by Hawking » Mon Jan 11, 2021 10:18 am

I used to be a kin on him. And now I have a lot of his books left. I prefer Coben now.
Intelligence is the ability to adapt to change. Stephen Hawking.

fabulousfreesia

Post by fabulousfreesia » Mon Jan 11, 2021 10:28 am

I'm not into it, my parents have a whole shelf of it, but that's not my atmosphere;) I prefer Sienkiewicz; p
The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched - they must be felt with the heart.

Oneia

Post by Oneia » Tue Jan 12, 2021 9:35 am

One of King's most important quotes has been with me since my youth: "The unanswered mystery is what stays with us the longest". In this opinion, he actually immortalized all his works and all the power of horror films. I love this writer for many reasons.

Special words of appreciation for the work in general. He not only writes outstanding works that are older, but also those that can be an inspiration. Stand by me is, after all, a true classic, a masterpiece.

And finally "Jericho", XBOX game. The first one I bought and still one of those that made an electrifying impression on me, even though I don't spend too much time on games ...
Dopamine Addicted

Rincewind1

Post by Rincewind1 » Tue Jan 12, 2021 9:57 am

I've read a lot of his books. He writes intelligently, interestingly, fascinatingly and unpredictably. You can drown in his books and that's good.
The best preparation for tomorrow is doing your best today. H. Jackson Brown, Jr.

Supergirl

Post by Supergirl » Tue Jan 12, 2021 10:06 am

I love King and keep coming back to him with pleasure. I have read everything (or almost everything) and so far only one or two novels have bored me a bit, or maybe otherwise: they seemed a bit overcomplicated and as if written by force. I like King's poetry, imagery and great style
Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence.