7th Sea - flippant system?

Takwir

7th Sea - flippant system?

Post by Takwir » Mon Jan 25, 2021 12:14 pm

I noticed that recently among the players of the 7th Sea there is a fashion for doing adventures in which there is a lot of running with a sword, drinking in taverns and killing opponents. Not like other systems, where MGs struggle to come up with a good scenario. There is simply something like that here - the 7th sea among my romp buddies is just an idyll.
Maybe it's only around me, but that's what I really felt.
Courage does not always roar. Valor does not always shine.

Kaikki

Re: 7th Sea - flippant system?

Post by Kaikki » Mon Jan 25, 2021 12:22 pm

Or maybe players around you have just started playing 7th SEa? Believe me, this is typical for the first sessions. Carefree, idyllic atmosphere is normal at first. Soon players will want to play something more complicated themselves. After all, how much can you hang around in taverns and slaughter the beasts?
I think love is stronger than habits or circumstances. I think it is possible to keep yourself for someone for a long time and still remember why you were waiting when she comes at last.

Murin

Post by Murin » Mon Jan 25, 2021 1:37 pm

No, I don't think there would be a person who during his RPG adventures did not make any brawl and did not act carelessly. If RPG gives you such freedom, why not take advantage of it? I must admit that the 7th Sea is perfect for the use of such freedom, but you cannot overdo it ... too much is unhealthy, as they say
Would you like me to put you out of your misery, before I put you out of your misery?

Irakhash

Post by Irakhash » Mon Jan 25, 2021 1:44 pm

So going one by one ... 7th Sea is a system typically focused on action movies. But not the usual action movies about shooting, good and bad, more spy. The 7th Sea is a system of great politics, intrigue, commercial and military rivalry. This gives quite a lot of room for the master of the game, as long as he can get the best out of the system. There are a lot of possibilities, and if someone does sessions only sitting in pubs with drinking, well .. wastes potential and that's it.
Mortals cannot perceive me with the physical eye whilst in my pure form unless it is of my choosing, for it would result in fatality, which begs the question of why you are an exception.

Brerg

Post by Brerg » Mon Jan 25, 2021 1:54 pm

As soon as MG wants to lead the plot, he will even lead it into the Moomin Valley RPG. The 7th Sea, although to be honest I didn't like it much, is a very flexible system. Well, it depends on the characters and the attitude of the players - but a lot can be done.
Death is lighter than a feather. Duty, heavier than a mountain.

Matsui

Post by Matsui » Mon Jan 25, 2021 2:03 pm

And why is chasing and drinking beer in taverns a minus of the system? Maybe I am already old and decrepit, but I think that there is also room for such systems. 7th Sea is one of them ... and that's good! When I want deeper figures in a similar atmosphere, I reach for the Monastery. If I want to suffer to the maximum, I suffer in Water. There is room for everything
The sun does not abandon the moon to darkness.

Vataes

Post by Vataes » Mon Jan 25, 2021 2:20 pm

I partially agree, that is, maybe I would not like to pigeonhole each system into a different regiment and only occasionally pull it out of there when I want to suffer or suck my tits. But I like to distinguish it from Monastir (huh). If someone wants to whip during the session, let's play whether WoD'a, 7'th Sea is based on adventure, these are Pirates of the Caribbean, Indiana Jones, Tomb Rider ... And there was little intrigue and complicated puzzles ? Although everything is in the convention of adventure and one big yok, the S'th Sea is frivolous and therefore divine
Every time you take one path, you must live with the memory of the other: of a life left unchosen.

Oneia

Post by Oneia » Wed Jan 27, 2021 9:49 am

7TH SEA is not a good system with potential, although its assumptions may initially provoke idyllic and reckless behavior of players, especially since in this system it is difficult for the player to kill a character, so there is no scarecrow, and this is not good. The player, if he knows that his character can die, he plays completely differently than when his character is unchallenged and this is a minus of this system for me.
Dopamine Addicted

Rincewind1

Post by Rincewind1 » Wed Jan 27, 2021 9:57 am

You know, by design, this system is Heroic :). The player's hero is the HERO. Well, maybe not in the literal sense, but it is known that a person who means something more. There is practically no option to play with a shepherd. That's why only the strongest opponents are a challenge for players ... But you can always kill, you don't need mechanics
The best preparation for tomorrow is doing your best today. H. Jackson Brown, Jr.

Supergirl

Post by Supergirl » Wed Jan 27, 2021 10:03 am

Well, maybe there is something to it. But on the other hand, the 7th Sea is a system in which, by definition, you shouldn't get lost. Just like Call of Cthulhu. By design of the ZC system, a character's experience is determined by speed while escaping under extreme stress, so the 7th Sea premise has: "And you can be like Jack Sparrow!".

The annoying thing about this is that players try to deliberately lead to such situations and instead of spontaneous heroic actions everyone suddenly tries to do bizarre things, and it's not fun anymore, just pathetic ...;)

And what you are talking about appears, the player plays quite differently if he does not feel any threat covering himself with the assumptions of the system. He forgets that the threats and the fate of the character depends on the MG, who if he decides to "one jump on the chandelier too much", the player cannot help it ... You can lead the plot straight from Call of Cthulhu - only players who understand that the manual is for MG a help, not a holy determinant. For players, there is only the world presented to them by the Game Master.
Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence.