Music as background for RPG

Woland

Post by Woland » Mon Jan 17, 2022 10:39 pm

It is very important to me. It creates the atmosphere, creates the atmosphere, in particular when combined with the appropriate preparation of the room for the session. I remember what it was like at a session with an excellent MG. Music suited perfectly, perfectly suited to the action. Unfortunately, I do not know exactly what it was. Mainly soundtracks from movies and games.

Personally (although I have never used music in a session) I use music from Neverwinter Nights, Heroes III, Morrowind, Oblivion, Call Of Duty, Mafia (music for any climate, any world), Red Alerta and Alpha Prime. For the fantasy climate, I recommend the first two. NWN has great battle themes lasting as long as 10 minutes.

Alfa

Post by Alfa » Mon Jan 17, 2022 10:43 pm

Music offers great possibilities if it is skillfully selected. Which is, unfortunately, very difficult. The atmosphere obtained thanks to it facilitates Role Playing, makes the sessions extraordinary and memorable. So what if the master tells you what the best sneaking in the forest can do? Many will not even move, and even be indignant that MG is dragging and boring with the description ... and the climate ... It is different if such a description is supported by climatic music that makes the spine shiver on the back and makes players have to use strong antiperspirants in order not to be unpleasant to the environment: twisted: What? Various things have been used .. Yes, movies and games are the main theme. I recommend it from the game Knights & Marchants - to play in a town or a larger village, it fits very well
“All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them.” – Walt Disney.

Onirke

Post by Onirke » Tue Jan 18, 2022 12:26 am

It still depends on the players ... I used to have the pleasure of a team that undoubtedly helped in building the atmosphere by guessing what game the music is from; / But it's rather bad luck with the team than something else :) Besides, it is worth dropping by if you do not have going to fly, change the paths in the middle of the description, and only enter the background
Be the change that you wish to see in the world.

Hawking

Post by Hawking » Tue Jan 18, 2022 2:10 am

I know Radio Rivendell, very pleasant, I recommend it. The music from the games is the above-mentioned plus Knights o Honor. From the films, I recommend The Golden Embrace, to which music was composed by Christopher Johansson from Therion (music available on their album A'arab Zaraq Lucid Dreaming).

Music is a good thing in a session. At Horned's sessions it complemented the atmosphere and really gave me a punch, once I played OST from Morrowind quietly in the background when I was driving it even fit nicely ...

Gerr, the players told me what games the music was from (what? Morrowind / Heroes III? Eee ...) It annoys and ruins the mood, but what can I do about it ...
Intelligence is the ability to adapt to change. Stephen Hawking.

Woland

Post by Woland » Tue Jan 18, 2022 3:12 am

Personally, I cannot imagine a session without music at the moment. My group has crystallized quite strongly, which makes our erpegation more and more professional (several players blocked our actions earlier). Building a climate is difficult and music has always helped with that. Now nobody pays attention to what the song is for (although there were some comments like: Louder! Change! Etc). It's nice.

I recommend these teams:
Krauka, (some) Blind Guardian, surprisingly Burzum, Wardruna, Dead Can Dance, works by Hans Zimmer.
OST fantasy games, for example: The Witcher, Chrono Cross or WoW and many others

Vataes

Post by Vataes » Tue Jan 18, 2022 3:31 am

I have to admit that lately he has been paying a lot of attention to the music during the session. It's probably because I like comparing sessions to a movie, where everything is beautifully in tune with the music. Maybe that makes me a bit pedantic in that regard, but I like it when the music is in tune with what the MG says and what is happening in the session.

I try to have music myself for every case. I collect pieces suitable for various situations. For example, when it comes to battle songs, I have fierce fights, stalking, total slaughterhouses, great battles, etc. Recently, I even found a special song to play in moments of some special success.

Let me just say that music should be sought. It is mainly about computer games. Each has its own atmosphere and each has its own music. The more the better.
I see. And the music you have to know. It is better to prepare the pieces needed for the sessions in advance, but you should also have the rest with you just in case.
Every time you take one path, you must live with the memory of the other: of a life left unchosen.

Leriel

Post by Leriel » Tue Jan 18, 2022 4:24 am

The best soundtracks are from movies or games. I advise against songs, especially the well-known ones, because it will start humming, singing or switching requests, which is a general breakdown of the climate.
Ideally, the music should just play in the background, creating a light mood. Well, unless someone wants to play constantly changing - it sounds interesting, but in practice it is difficult to do.
We are all searching for someone whose demons play well with ours.

Alfa

Post by Alfa » Tue Jan 18, 2022 5:21 am

Well, but if you know more or less at what point what should be, you will be able to set the entire playlist. Recently, I played Apocalyptyca in a random order during the session. During the fight, relatively fast songs were played. When we killed the main enemy, Chopin's "Funeral March" accidentally interrupted the list, and at the end, when we were burying one dead companion, a nostalgia, melancholic note was accidentally heard again.
Generally, it is best to sign collections of works with the texts "fight 1,2,3,4,5,6,7 ...", "city1,2 ...." etc.
Once I tried this with the music for Heroes 3, but unfortunately the computer was standing too far and I did not want to run to it every now and then.
All in all, the music for the session seems to be prepared specially in both parts of Baldur's Gate. All songs are signed as mentioned above.

EDIT.
And when it comes to S-F, I recommend The Prodigy and Rammstein. It really gives the vibe.
“All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them.” – Walt Disney.

Matsui

Post by Matsui » Tue Jan 18, 2022 6:14 am

But in random order, it's just a stroke of luck. Therefore, it is better to plan it in advance.
Good idea with that naming, but if you know the songs well then you don't have to do it.

As for the bands, I am personally against it. IMHO no background vocals. Well, unless it is incomprehensible. Like Rammstein (for most: P). When it comes to music from movies, you have to be careful, because it is often made for action in the movie, and as you know, it can change quite quickly. It really is rare that there is one mood in a piece of a movie all the time. Most often, it changes every few seconds, although this is also not a rule. Anyway, game music is the safest :).
The sun does not abandon the moon to darkness.

Eredin

Post by Eredin » Tue Jan 18, 2022 8:06 am

After a few sessions with the use of background music, I find that when skilfully used as one of the elements of climate shaping, it gives outstanding results. With WH she emphasized the mood quite interestingly, dynamic pieces spun the tavern. On the other hand, during a night in WoD, the hum from MoozE (OST from S.T.A.L.K.E.R.a) combined with playing in almost total darkness made you shiver.

A miracle, honey and peanuts!
Don’t Let Yesterday Take Up Too Much Of Today