Riddles for rpg

Ciliren

Riddles for rpg

Post by Ciliren » Mon Jan 17, 2022 5:09 pm

Well, puzzles during sessions. what do you think about them? Do you like when MG gives you some puzzles to solve? Any verbal or logical riddles to solve a problem? Or maybe you come up with them for the players yourself? What types of puzzles do you like (if you like)?

Or maybe you can show off some interesting ideas for puzzles?

I like. As an MG, I started using them recently and now I try to have at least one in almost every session. I mainly come up with logic puzzles that I invent myself or borrow from games. For example, recently I gave them a puzzle involving pressing buttons on the board. Unfortunately, they quickly solved it (or at least Laser, and a roundabout way, because he knew some typical puzzles in PC games and quickly came up with the idea of solving it).
The moment you doubt whether you can fly, you cease for ever to be able to do it

Murin

Riddles for rpg

Post by Murin » Mon Jan 17, 2022 5:47 pm

I even often throw into the game some puzzles and puzzles that require a logical approach. It even works, which is a great achievement considering what kind of players I have: cry:
Would you like me to put you out of your misery, before I put you out of your misery?

Triss Merigold

Riddles for rpg

Post by Triss Merigold » Mon Jan 17, 2022 7:30 pm

Well, in our sessions, it sometimes happens that there are some puzzles, although for me far too rarely. I personally like them very much, I have always liked them. Most verbal, verse, or something like in bad adventure movies.

I have only conducted 4 or 5 sessions in my life and basically I always wanted to give a riddle, but I think it only worked out once or twice because I forgot. I consider it an interesting matter, good if the session is not sticky, or you still want to play and the plot is slowly ending. Such a thing, if difficult enough, can drag the game over hours. Although it can't be too long either, because if you don't come up with anything for two hours, it will start to tire.
I always try to suit my clothes to my company. It is the only way to be inconspicuous.

Gor

Riddles for rpg

Post by Gor » Mon Jan 17, 2022 8:11 pm

"Riddles" at the session (somehow I associate it badly with college ...) is nothing else than a nefarious trick of the MG, who wants to delay the team, because he has not yet forgotten what is behind the blocked door: D.

The best, however, is when the Master gives a puzzle and hopes that the players will solve it quickly.
I've dealt with a couple of MGs and every time one of them did a number it was the same. He pauses for half an hour or even one and a half and grinds all possible options, bargaining with the MG for throws, quarrels, etc. Because what seems to be obvious to the MG and that the orangutan will solve it, it was not obvious for the players. And I'm talking about clich�s like: place a vase on a landing, fit a round block into a round hole, set levers, these things.
There was only gold, and power, and the bodies of women, and steel.

Irakhash

Riddles for rpg

Post by Irakhash » Mon Jan 17, 2022 8:57 pm

Well, the problem with puzzles is that, unlike most of the things we encounter in a session, puzzles by default depend on what the player can do, and they do not have much to do with what the character knows. We have a math student who plays a dull barbarian who can easily smash every logical problem, and a student from the AWF University who may not be able to cope, and currently plays the Philosopher. Of course, we can play one bonus some kind, but the puzzle will lose its sense sooner than we achieve the intended effect.

Therefore, as far as I remember, the riddles never appeared, although the matter with the hidden message in the text from the appropriate letters looks a little better and I thought about it once, I did not have the opportunity, well, maybe soon; P

Solving a puzzle with dice does not appeal to me at all, why invent a puzzle if you are going to throw it, suffice to say it is and that's it. And that introduces nothing to the game other than an extra throw.

What do you do if the players don't solve it in a reasonable time? Often times it may take them already a second hour and they become increasingly discouraged? Then what ? are you moving the story further? do you take it for granted and draw the fictional consequences?
Mortals cannot perceive me with the physical eye whilst in my pure form unless it is of my choosing, for it would result in fatality, which begs the question of why you are an exception.

Vanity Fair

Riddles for rpg

Post by Vanity Fair » Mon Jan 17, 2022 10:08 pm

One of my MG rewards a lot for roleplaying - I used to play a barbarian, a typical team thug (SF reality). In some situation in the game a puzzle for the team was raised: "what is heavier on your Earth, a kilogram of feathers or a kilogram of lead?". I replied according to the mentality of my character that a kilogram of lead (for which the team wanted to chop me up because I spoke first) ... and suddenly it turned out that I was right: lol: (kilogram is a unit of mass, weight is in Newtons: D)
All is vanity, nothing is fair