Gamepley or realism

Matsui

Gamepley or realism

Post by Matsui » Mon Jan 17, 2022 11:31 am

There was a topic with or without mechanics. But now the question: what mechanics?
We have different systems with more difficult or easier mechanics. WoD, for example, presents us with the simplest mechanics I can imagine. In turn, apparently Wolsung, I didn't play myself, has a mechanics so complicated that sometimes it's hard to understand.
And now the question is, where is the best balance, where else is it relatively realistic, but we do not determine the arrow's flight path based on the shooter's strength, angle of release and arrow weight? Where is your border, what do you prefer more in the game, more throwing dice, or more "cinematic" but not necessarily realistic scenes?
The sun does not abandon the moon to darkness.

Devil Baby

Gamepley or realism

Post by Devil Baby » Mon Jan 17, 2022 12:24 pm

I've been in favor of gameplay lately. In other words, I assume that the mechanics are only a tool for balancing the game, not the basis of the entire gameplay. Because experience has taught me that the more developed the mechanics, the less creativity allowed. For me, creativity is the essence of RPG, something that distinguishes it from many other forms of entertainment that limit us with strict rules.

Therefore, even if I am fed up with D&D, which is immeasurable in its complexity and limits the player's creativity at every turn, which leads to the fact that all creativity comes down to looking for holes in the system. For example, the system says the fireball has a radius of approximately 6 meters. I once had a long discussion with Con why he can't throw a lesser fireball by simply giving it less power or something. I searched the manual, but found no mention of modifying spells, so I ended up having to draw a tactical map, mark all the fighting characters on it, and let Con choose the optimal spot to cast the spell to cover as many enemies and as few allies as possible. In fact, you can't even call it realism, because in this case the RPG has been brought down to the RTS game.

I prefer movie scenes. We've long recognized that this is what makes a game addictive because, just as movies are spectacular, so can entertainment. It started with the fact that during the d20 session Modern Mg offered us bonuses for "movie action" (spectacular but risky). The quintessence of this seems to be the Crystalicum system, which was created to support the spectacular. Simple, intuitive mechanics with a system of reactions and fury allow you to turn each round of combat into a scene from the movie.

This does not mean that the realistic mechanics are bad, but I have yet to come across one that is both complex and easy to grasp. There are some worlds that can assume the mundane and poverty in advance, in which case it is hard to be spectacular, but it does not have to impose advanced mechanics immediately.
Sell your soul

Anansi

Gamepley or realism

Post by Anansi » Mon Jan 17, 2022 1:53 pm

Fortunately, there are systems that develop the player's creativity to the maximum, an excellent example is wolsung, which bases the gameplay, combat mechanics and meetings on film scenes, depending on skills, success cards, and the way we tell the scene, we will have such a chance for success !
Everybody going to be dead one day, just give them time

Eredin

Gamepley or realism

Post by Eredin » Mon Jan 17, 2022 3:02 pm

So yes, I played some time ago, from what I remember, at first glance the mechanics may actually seem complicated, but only seemingly in my opinion, it is enough to start playing, feel the atmosphere and then we play movie scenes, every hero from due to race, profession and skills, the color of the card is assigned (spades, hearts, clubs, diamonds) and scene bonuses for the appropriate scenery, behavior, weapons, fighting methods, etc. We use cards to increase the probability and epicness of our scenes, the player plays during the scene it with MG, describing everything at the same time, of course we also have dice, but it is a simple k10 system, which also serves to increase the success of your scenes, without a scene well told by the player, it is difficult to talk about the success of this scene;)

Ed: The problem in Wolsung is MG, without a good MG to play the stage with us, it will be hard to have fun: P

Ed2: That's what I wrote about this Wolsung, but with my friends, when we play a system, we first get to know the mechanics, and then we do everything to simplify it as much as possible, so that it disturbs us as little as possible in the game :)
Don’t Let Yesterday Take Up Too Much Of Today

Kaikki

Gamepley or realism

Post by Kaikki » Mon Jan 17, 2022 3:25 pm

Well, it just started to wonder what my friend said about the wolsung, that it is complicated. But I forgot that I probably have a main textbook somewhere, so maybe I'll read it in my free time.

I, on the other hand, prefer total centering. I do not like mechanics when I feel thick errors created by the authors, such as in WH, where a long arc, counting the armor penetration it has, has the same firepower as a crossbow and at the same time a greater range. Such things are ridiculous. Well, it is due to the fact that in WH there is one type of crossbow, and five types of firearms and four different bows.
I will not speak about DnD, because it is a mechanic that is still incomprehensible to me today. Where do some things come from and why? I have no idea. It is nevertheless too complicated for me, but I cannot say if it is realistic. I like realism in combat, because it gives justice, and I don't like when there is a dispute during the session because of a hole in the mechanics that needs to be patched, because the mechanics did not predict something. And here WoD did a great job, in which there are no holes as such, or they are very cleverly covered, so that I have not yet encountered more trouble than to recognize something in the session. The mechanics are simple, playable and partly realistic. I don't know if something similar good could be created.
I think love is stronger than habits or circumstances. I think it is possible to keep yourself for someone for a long time and still remember why you were waiting when she comes at last.

Takwir

Gamepley or realism

Post by Takwir » Mon Jan 17, 2022 4:45 pm

Honestly, it probably depends on how you approach RPGs. If you care about competition, winning and honesty - you will always be drawn to more rigid systems with higher realism. If someone focuses on storytelling and having fun with creating the world - they will prefer gameplay. Fast, simple solutions. Something that will allow for continuous playability.

At my place? Storytelling, i.e. playability over realism. System mechanics are fate, allowing you to quickly solve disputes and problematic moments. Heavy mechanics and mod stacks will completely kill the fun of playing, especially if you start out with some system. Star Wars is supposedly great, but my first encounter with it was so traumatic that I probably wouldn't risk playing again with a jump.

As for Wolsung: Wolsung firstly has an incredibly unreadable manual and mechanics of the ones you either love or give up and avoid. To make the most of her abilities, I agree, you should have a good MG in your team ... but you also need to embrace the system. Ignorance of the mechanics kills Wolsung at the start. And with her again, it is not enough to read once ... you have to play, play, play ...
Courage does not always roar. Valor does not always shine.

Pensmug

Gamepley or realism

Post by Pensmug » Mon Jan 17, 2022 4:59 pm

One day, you will be old enough to start reading fairytales again.