What we learned of RPG from our mistakes

Leriel

Post by Leriel » Wed Dec 22, 2021 12:43 am

The beginnings of playing RPGs can be different, and the inexperience of the MG can easily translate into a bad reception of the session. Whether watching your Game Masters or playing the game yourself, you witnessed some mistakes in the game that should be avoided in the future. In this topic you can boast about what mistakes you made in your MG career or what mistakes you witnessed as players and what conclusions did you draw on their basis :)

I suggest that everyone should state what they have learned about playing the game, and then the situation in which the error occurred.

1. As an MG - If the players like the atmosphere at the session, be careful not to destroy it with one ill-considered decision
Leading at Crystalicum, my players crashed on a small planet in a ruined city covered in tropical jungle. During the day it was relatively quiet there, but there was an atmosphere of mystery, as there was no living spirit outside, and from time to time players could hear the beat of hooves somewhere in the distance. However, every night the city moves back into the past to the day when the great battle took place there.
The players were pleased with this arrangement. There is an action at night, and during the day they rest and try to learn the secrets of the city. Only that after a few days, the pirates also crashed in the city, and at that moment, according to the players, the whole atmosphere of mystery and loneliness during the day hit. Instead of fearing the unknown, something as banal as other survivors has become their enemy. And I admit that I planned these pirates from the beginning and they were to play a significant role in the plot. However, seeing the attitude of the players, I decided to limit the participation of pirates to a minimum, slightly changing the course of the end of the campaign and after only two skirmishes, the players did not come across them anymore.
We are all searching for someone whose demons play well with ours.

Sylfil

Post by Sylfil » Wed Dec 22, 2021 1:42 am

2. Always propose a worthy opponent for your charges
Fantasy is hardly an escape from reality. It's a way of understanding it

Vataes

Post by Vataes » Wed Dec 22, 2021 3:08 am

Do not run sessions in (seasonally) dying forums. You work hard and then quickly lose players for reasons beyond your control.
Every time you take one path, you must live with the memory of the other: of a life left unchosen.

fabulousfreesia

Post by fabulousfreesia » Wed Dec 22, 2021 4:14 am

Oh The hut gave very adequate advice to Anduin xD
The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched - they must be felt with the heart.

Eredin

Post by Eredin » Wed Dec 22, 2021 4:19 am

Don't cheat on your bones, even if it would improve the story so that it goes your way.
Back in the day, I really didn't want a player to die, and at the same time I didn't want my opponent to be too weak, so sometimes I bent my throws. Fortunately, these times have already passed some 6 years ago.
Right now I definitely play open dice. Both me and the players throw all the throws in the middle, everyone can look. Thanks to this, it is always exciting and unexpected, even for me. Especially when the player takes the street's fury on his chest :)
Sometimes I only throw in secret, but only if it has to be such a throw or it doesn't make any sense
Don’t Let Yesterday Take Up Too Much Of Today

Woland

Post by Woland » Wed Dec 22, 2021 4:49 am

More interesting problems and challenges come out when you don't cheat and the dice crush the players instead of you.

Pensmug

Post by Pensmug » Wed Dec 22, 2021 4:54 am

Can you give an example?
One day, you will be old enough to start reading fairytales again.

Gor

Post by Gor » Wed Dec 22, 2021 5:59 am

There was only gold, and power, and the bodies of women, and steel.