The Elder Scrolls

Alfa

The Elder Scrolls

Post by Alfa » Sun Dec 19, 2021 7:53 pm

A topic for this entire series, although I am aware that the discussion (if there is any: P) will still focus on Morrowind and Oblivion. Well, well ... Traditional questions: which parts did you play? Which version was, according to you, the best and why? What did you (not) like about each of them? What, in your opinion, is the element that distinguishes this "saga" from others? And what would you advise to change for the future, as there are already rumors about TES V ...
“All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them.” – Walt Disney.

Eredin

The Elder Scrolls

Post by Eredin » Sun Dec 19, 2021 7:53 pm

I've played Daggerfall, Morrowind, and Oblivion. For now, it's hard for me to decide which part is the best, I'm hesitating between Oblivion and Morrowind.

Daggerfall, or Buggerfall, is probably the most bugged game in history, but after a few hundred patches the game is very enjoyable, although the controls can be annoying (you complain about the character card in Oblivion? Play Daggerfall). The advantage is a great world, huge (the size of the British Isles ...) and varied.

Morrowind has a great, beautiful world with lots of flavors and nooks and crannies that you want to explore. Often I just ignored quests and explored (I discovered the entire map, not only the main one, but also the regular one). There is always an unplanned cave. You can get mad about the main thread, but what for? The tasks are great and well thought out. I miss a few options, but what are the mods that changed the game of failure for?

Oblivion is the best in terms of quest quality and graphics. The world is a bit too small and it moves too quickly (teleports ... if you walk on your feet, you can get anywhere very quickly). And those 60 abysses you can explore ... yum. Somehow the items in Oblivion piss me off, specifically the appearance, especially the look of the glass armor annoying. But I love Oblivion for being able to play an assassin very well. Nothing adds a kick to the game like being able to wear a black robe, hood, dagger in the paw and spot the victim ... and then the hunt: mrgreen:

If TES V comes out it's not too soon, BETHESDA has to do Fallout 3 first ... by the way, let them do 4, 5, 6.7, 8, 9 ... Fallout more important!
Don’t Let Yesterday Take Up Too Much Of Today

Murin

The Elder Scrolls

Post by Murin » Sun Dec 19, 2021 8:00 pm

I played "Morrowind" a bit and I must admit that, like the creators of the above post, I liked the game, although it has some serious drawbacks, which (in my opinion) can effectively "make the game unpleasant" (oh my!: Wink :) . And of these disadvantages, it would be appropriate to mention the "deadness" of the world. The cities looked as if tornadoes had passed through them. And as if this demographic decline was not enough, "people" wandered around their settlements like shadows: no activities whatsoever, no interaction between them. Just lost souls in abandoned settlements. And if you compare it to the villages / cities from the "Gothic" series, where everything literally "lived", everyone had their own occupation, then ... But in general the game made a great impression on me - especially those big bugs where you could travel (I don't remember what their name was: P). If it weren't for them - damn would have hit me. In addition, the world is a colossus, visiting which you had to spend a lot of time. And lots of quests to solve ...

And now I'm going to Oblivion. ^^
Fortunately, my PC is a wild beast and it can do this game in the highest detail - so I can admire it in all its glory. And what is ... Forests, excellently animated water, meadows, plains ... And of course, an unforgettable, one-of-a-kind view from the Anvil lighthouse. Eh ... <rop�yyyywaaaaaa>
Well, but now more substantive. I am happy to say that I liked TES IV more than its predecessor. The fundamental errors that I pointed out III have been corrected and in terms of climate, which is the most important for me and plays a decisive role in the final evaluation of the product, it also looks better. Unfortunately, it was not possible to ignore two important mistakes that move this TES version away from the title of a masterpiece. It is about"
- Level-scalling. Forge knife, what kind of inadequate booty has she invented this? ---___--- "It was Mork's advantage, and now our enemies (fortunately not all, but a large part) are" scaled "to our level. Even the poor road guards patrolling the routes of the Empire are unfortunately not scaled. Well - the corpses of imperial soldiers on the roads are normal. And it's all the fault of the ORDINARY bandits ...
- A small amount of guilds. Basically, even if there were 50 of them, I would only join the 3 I am currently in: the mages guild, the arena and the dark brotherhood. However, if I ever play a different character, not a mage, it will bother me. Well, hell - what is it that there are only 5 guilds, 3 of which operate under the law? There should be at least 2 more. For example, the Temple - there are many different cathedrals everywhere, so why not follow in Mork's footsteps and be able to join this oppressive organization and ultimately become the leader of all nine? And another thing that strikes you - the imperial legion. Why can't you join him? I think that any good war should be able to join the imperials and become the superior general (or whatever) of the entire army, or the city guard. Complete crap. It is a pity there are no families - they were also nice. But these 2 guilds are begging ... Eh, the creators obviously didn't want to ... Because, as I said - now these 3 guilds are enough for me, but with a different character, I'd like to join those mentioned by me.
And if it wasn't - Oblivion is full of flavors. Even a marten. Awfully cool beasts. The possibility of fast travel - a bomb for me. You don't have to pay and look for a boat or a rover. Of course the house. The fact that you could have family strongholds in Mork - but they were SMALL AND UNDOORED. Even the mods didn't change it that much. And now we can buy a small cottage (the smallest Imperial city - 2,000) or a large, almost villas (Skingrad - 25,000) and a lot of intermediaries, such as what I have now, i.e. a house in Cheydinhal for 15,000. The cities are another advantage - compared to Mork, they are much better. Alive, the NPCs finally have a life of their own (go to sleep, talk to each other, eat, etc.) and they look amazing. My favorite? Cheydinahal. :] Well, miracle, C U D O. Delicate houses, a mass of greenery, willows, a small river ... I just drop out. : P That's why I am based there - although I will not fail to buy a Skingrad giant later.
To sum up - in my subjective opinion, Oblivion is better than Morrowind, which does not change the fact that in many respects it "withdrew" and in others it developed. Unfortunately, as is always the case, nothing is perfect. A pity, because if a little more time had been spent on Oblivion, he would certainly have been claiming it.

P.S. What is still annoying is the small number of skills. I understand the simplification - but sometimes I have the impression that they are a bit overwhelmed.
Would you like me to put you out of your misery, before I put you out of your misery?

Matsui

The Elder Scrolls

Post by Matsui » Sun Dec 19, 2021 8:14 pm

I only had the pleasure of playing Morrowind and Oblivion. I know Daggerfall and Arena only from stories.
Of these two games, I choose Morrowind for the better. A wonderful and huge world that you want to explore, interesting cities and lots of quests ... and of course fantastic guilds. Thanks to Morag Tong, I visited a huge area where there was always some lost cave, or some forgotten dwemer abode ... mraaau xD. I only did about 60% of the main plot (but that's only because before I sat down at Morrowind myself, I had accompanied my brother on the game before and just didn't feel like chasing the deserts a second time during a blizzard ... xD). I focused more on guilds and side quests - and I was brilliant, this great freedom in the game is in my opinion a great advantage. I know I'm repeating myself, but - it's not the main plot that's important in Morrowind: mrgreen:
Oblivion is, in my opinion, a simple decline in Bethesda's form, a dull idea of ??a "journal", besides, a million abysses, which do not differ from each other - zieeeew ... xD. The fast travel option is nice, but it makes you even less wanting to walk o_O (as in Morrowind you sometimes cursed for a long journey back, in Oblivion you swear when you have to go somewhere on foot at all xD).
I agree with that - in Oblivion they worked a bit on the quests, also diversified their execution - e.g. in the Assassins' Guild, for killing someone in such a way that it looks like an accident, you get nice bonuses (in the form of magic items, etc.), and in the Thieves Guild, before getting another quest, you first need to steal a few items of a certain value. These are such cool accessories for enthusiasts. Nevertheless, it does not change the fact that in many tasks everything is predictable. O.o.

If TES V is to be built, the interface and the world should be similar to Morrowind, and all other gameplay attractions and nibbles should be modeled after Oblivion. In my opinion, this would be the best part of TES xD
The sun does not abandon the moon to darkness.

Pensmug

The Elder Scrolls

Post by Pensmug » Sun Dec 19, 2021 10:11 pm

First, what Morrowind has been like to me.
And he was (is) one of my three beloved games. Games of my life. I spent a good few months playing it, which hardly ever happens in my case. The plot may well do ..., but the abundance of guilds, quests, items, a huge, carefully prepared world and, above all, an amazing CLIMATE made me fall in love with Mork. I remember the first lonely journey through the continent, more specifically its northern routes, the discovery of Deadric items, acquiring the next lvl and then with a sufficiently high lvl at which no creature was afraid of just completing quests and unrestrained exploration of the world.
Ah, I think I'll put the CD in the drive and play again, although the old saves are long gone.

What was Oblivion supposed to be for me? Simple - the evolution of Morrowind.
And it almost happened.

The game is still pretty today, the world is refined, the plot sticks together a bit more, the characters have a personality but ...
There was no climate. There is no longer this desire to explore every mine, ruins, fort. Visit literally every part of the map. Traveling and admiring landscapes, at least for me, is not so much fun. That's why I played Oblivona, but not as long as Morka.
What made me furious was leveling the world with the character. Sorry, this is not why I acquire the skill and then bother with 2 skeletons for 10 minutes (especially since I am not a virtuoso of dexterity fights). It was this aspect that made the game, in a moment of rage and throwing blasphemy, screwed out of the disc all the way, because I was stunned when one of the few monsters that suddenly surrounded me in some forest struck me.
Therefore, I hope that in the next TES there will be no world leveling, because then I will not buy the game.
One day, you will be old enough to start reading fairytales again.

Takwir

The Elder Scrolls

Post by Takwir » Sun Dec 19, 2021 10:24 pm

I don't understand what you mean with this levelcalling. For me, this is an important advantage of Oblivon. This ensures great fights throughout the game and excludes stupid skirmishes with rats or some gang that are not worth spitting.
Maybe I look at it through the prism of my style of playing (sneaking, stab in the back) but this way we still have a lot of fun from winning the fight ... not to mention better items xD

I forgot one more thing - opponents respawning. Great thing! Personally, I chose a few ruins and camps where noteworthy opponents were hanging around and I looked every few days to murder and take the equipment
Courage does not always roar. Valor does not always shine.

Ciliren

The Elder Scrolls

Post by Ciliren » Sun Dec 19, 2021 11:05 pm

That thief? So why are mud crabs constantly attacking me, regardless of the level? : mrgreen: (they are fiercely equal to shriekers ... xD) Yes, I know, I know, if all mud crabs disappeared from one level, it would stop having the climate, but the water tap, what a problem to create several kinds of these damn depending on level? xD If already level scalling, then for the whole, not only in some cases o.o
Just such a bastard, which, by the way, is neither useful nor cool at all, I really do not understand why everyone is so happy about their presence o_O
The moment you doubt whether you can fly, you cease for ever to be able to do it

Vanity Fair

The Elder Scrolls

Post by Vanity Fair » Mon Dec 20, 2021 12:46 am

They are scaled, then the number of this type of pleasers decreases and, for example, there are stronger varieties of teddy bears: P Sure, you will not meet "Mud Crab Fucker" because it would not make sense: P lvl only seriously intelligent creatures (people mean).
All is vanity, nothing is fair

Hawking

The Elder Scrolls

Post by Hawking » Mon Dec 20, 2021 12:57 am

Oli, maybe the fight is fun for you, but after some time it just started to tire me. o_O That's why leveling the world is in my case the biggest nightmare of this game, which killed in me the desire to explore and visit the world and to complete quests.
It is a pity that the programmers did not think about the possibility of turning off this g .... in the options, but it would be too good.
Intelligence is the ability to adapt to change. Stephen Hawking.

Woland

The Elder Scrolls

Post by Woland » Mon Dec 20, 2021 1:08 am

Well, bears, wolves, wild boars - everything has its stronger varieties, except for the mud crabs! ; about