Honor, good, bad character

Sylfil

Post by Sylfil » Fri Jan 28, 2022 7:12 am

In the 1960s, there was a murderer in Colombia who killed over 340 women before they caught him ...
Jack the Ripper is a child with him. So it doesn't depend on time. It's just about the value system. While in regular RPGs you never play alone, so such a character would die on the spot for his actions (unless the whole team was like that), in computer games you usually have a limited amount of plot and interactions, and if you kill someone you don't you should, it may turn out that a few hours later the story will stop, because the guest was important.
When it comes to a pretty bad person, there are hardly any stupid bad guys. Either they are psychopaths or they are calculating killers. An ordinary village idiot who forces racketeering would rather not deliberately resort to such a permanent act as murder.
Fantasy is hardly an escape from reality. It's a way of understanding it

Brerg

Post by Brerg » Fri Jan 28, 2022 7:17 am

Gosh, as you say, it reminds me of my high school session. Situation: Three D&D characters, all really bad (well, I had a bad law-abiding one, I admit)!

The gameplay turned out to be amazingly cool, in such an environment everyone was plotting and planning to stab a knife in everyone's back - the effect is that you have a problem to lie down in the camp at night, because you know well that the guard will use your weapons and cut your throat if it is profitable for him. So you have to offer him something so that it doesn't count for him.

I remember that at the end of the adventure there were some sharp intrigues inside the team (such as: X and Y: "as soon as Z reveals the password for the guard, we will drown him in the moat", simultaneously: X and Z: "You have to stab Y 'as soon as he tells you where he hid a white wolf's tusk ", and traditionally Y and Z:" I stole the X of that tusk, but he has something else, if he goes to sleep, he will have to be pressed "). The session ended with three dead bodies anyway, as my character didn't really read the key map well (and, take your word for it, she wasn't too willing to share this map with other teammates before burning it).

Overall, the adventure was massively different than any other, but it was even fun to play
Death is lighter than a feather. Duty, heavier than a mountain.

Devil Baby

Post by Devil Baby » Fri Jan 28, 2022 7:32 am

I used Jack the Ripper because everyone knows him. In the past, of course, there were amateurs, but then committing crimes was easier due to the lack of extensive investigative bodies. Rather, I mean the artistry with which the killings were approached. Most of these attacks were carried out according to a plan, not a rule: He went to his house at night and shot him. There is no artistry, etc.
Sell your soul

fabulousfreesia

Post by fabulousfreesia » Fri Jan 28, 2022 8:12 am

1 / 4 unplanned killings are killings in affect, e.g. he sexually abused or killed someone close to you.
The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched - they must be felt with the heart.

Vanity Fair

Post by Vanity Fair » Fri Jan 28, 2022 9:14 am

In RPGs (actually cRPGs) that allow you to create character characters based on making choices, somehow always come out "Hollier-than-thou good doers"
All is vanity, nothing is fair

Poison Ivy

Post by Poison Ivy » Fri Jan 28, 2022 9:35 am

My favorite characters are those who let you follow your instincts, or those that give you the greatest freedom. In DnD it was "Chaotic Neutral", which in practice meant as much - "do what you want, there is no hell!". Unfortunately, in RPGs of the new date, you can't actually play like that, because it will either squeeze you into good or bad.
Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.

Eredin

Post by Eredin » Fri Jan 28, 2022 10:26 am

In the new RPGs, it was me who noticed the lack of space for something like character. There is simply freedom, and the manual mainly deals with the mechanics, history and psychological part, leaving the player at any discretion. Although I do not know many new systems, it was rather so. I myself like it when you have freedom, but the manual will tell you a little about it, to force the player to think about the character, because otherwise they are later colorless and impossible to feel into them, they are all, however, ignoring the statistics in the tables.
Don’t Let Yesterday Take Up Too Much Of Today

Murin

Post by Murin » Fri Jan 28, 2022 11:46 am

Generally, when it comes to characters, and especially deductive "belonging", I believe that the characters should be divided on one more plane - views and temperament. We can imagine a person who has very lofty, noble and lawful ideals, but in practice he is the worst son of a bitch because he does not translate from theory to practice - emotions take over. The textbooks treat such cases very negligently - in fact, I would say that all these characters in DnD describe views primarily, which ends with pictures like:
Importantly, I am not suggesting creating a new rule that creates 3 ^ 3 or even 3 ^ 4 types of characters for us, but simply that this system is non-functional and should be thrown out on a broken face.
Would you like me to put you out of your misery, before I put you out of your misery?

Sylfil

Post by Sylfil » Fri Jan 28, 2022 12:22 pm

I would like to point out that the character in D&D was mechanical. Having a certain character gave the player access to certain skills, items, or spells that might not be available to another character. For example, there are spells that only deal damage to characters that are evil, or items that can only be used by a lawful person.

Apart from the plot aspect, the player tried to keep his character also precisely so as not to lose these mechanical properties resulting from it. On the other hand, it could lead to a situation where the player found a powerful item that only gave a bonus to the bad guys, so "it might be time to start murdering people to change your character to evil".
Fantasy is hardly an escape from reality. It's a way of understanding it

Hawking

Post by Hawking » Fri Jan 28, 2022 1:41 pm

Well, such absurdities are once, the second is the very fact of absurdity and ambiguity. You can play a complete cynic and still be an PD paladin because he believes in good ideals and so on. In my opinion, the whole system of character and its translation into mechanics is a failed idea.
Intelligence is the ability to adapt to change. Stephen Hawking.